Re: how many locators?

On 13-nov-03, at 16:42, Christian Huitema wrote:

But in reality the average number of addresses for multihomers would be very close to 2, exactly because having many addresses would stress the selection mechanisms (that we have to come up with) too much.

We should not make such assumptions. I have already seen hosts
configuring many global addresses.

You are right of course. We shouldn't assume this, and it was in no way my intention to say the number of addresses _should_ be just two. It's just that the address selection problem is complex and having very many addresses really doesn't help. Removing known low quality addresses is the easiest way to optimize this.

You have also to consider things like
privacy extensions and temporary addresses -- addresses which, by the
way, should never be placed in a database...

Yes. However, for the purposes of what we're trying to do we can usually aggregate different addresses with the same prefix and treat them as one address for optimization purposes.