Re: delayed multihoming/mobility set-up

I'm afraid these two issues aren't really related. The reason that BGP rerouting can take so long is that the RFC mandates a 90 second hold time, but Cisco and presumably others use an even longer default hold time of 180 seconds. Operators are often reluctant to change the default.

Once the BGP session goes down there is of course the issue of updating all the related routes, which can also take some time depending on the number of routes that ran over the neighbor. But this is usually a matter of seconds (think a one digit number).

It, instead, is the reference for BGP++.

We already have BGP4+, but now we need BGP++?

Iljtsch is of course right - its also useful to bear in mind that _any_ distance vector
algorithm takes time to propagate, and any distance vector algorithm that
needs to also synch itself with interior routing systems will take more time.

The trade-offs here is speed vs stability. BGP is biased towards stability as
that is the best path we know for scaleability. I'm not sure that BGPn for any
n>4 will break out of this need to strike a balance between these two attributes.

That being said, all this strikes me as wandering off into the weeds for this
topic! :-)

Geoff