Re: Some Comments on ID/Loc Separation Proposals

On 4-dec-03, at 22:56, Dave Crocker wrote:

EN>  - (an instance of) the IP protocol processing on a node
EN>  - a IP service access point (i.e. the point where the
EN>    transport protocols attach to IP)
EN>  - a transport service access point
EN>  - something higher up in the protocol stack

[...]

And, yes, the fact that I am not giving you a more concrete response
is intentional. I've offered some specific text.  I want others to fix
it.  (Or, rather, I can't come up with anything better...)

We can't fix your definition for you if we don't know what you want to define...

I think it will serve us well to _start_ with reference to a local
instance of an application, and then derive text back from it.
Focusing only on the lower layers causes us to miss what is most
interesting and useful, I fear.

Aggregating processes into applications, applications under a single ULP and ULPs under IP helps minimize the amount of work that an implementation needs to do, which is good CPU/bandwidth and delay wise.