Re: T1M1.5 Document (related ANSI doc)

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Chris Lonvick wrote:

>   It is not too late to get changes.

Technicaly, no, practicaly (for me at least), yes.
I'll give it a second quick pass, but I don't
have time this week (between IETF, travel, work, and getting
ready to give a talk next week) to give it the time
it deserves...let alone finding someone who can
put in comments that will be listened to.

It looks like fine, well reviewed work.  We just
need to review the scope and goals of the ANSI
work and compare to what opsec is trying to do
[Hint: I could use help doing that/input from
people on the opsec list on this].

Is there a mechanism for followup work/ammendments ?

> There has been a bit of a discussion in platform differences.  A lot of
> the M (mandatory) requirements just use the term NE/MS and don't attempt
> to differentiate between them or where they are located in the network.
> Some concession was made to very small, or very out of the way devices
> such as IP telephones and CPE routers.  The document says that the M
> requirements stated in the document should be taken as O (optional)
> requirements for those.  A number of attempts were made to try to
> differentiate between platforms (robust OS v. embedded OS, does it have a
> disk, does it have a console port, etc.) but no good consensus method was
> worked out to define any separation.

And you never will.  The diversity of devices will continue to
dictate different profiles.   One size will never fit all.
You need to acknowledge that and come up with a mechanism
to work with that reality.

>  Hence, generalized requirements.
> It's not the best solution but it allowed the work to progress rather
> quickly.  If there are specific instances that need differentiation,
> please contribute.

I'll send such comments as I can come up with BRIEFLY to you and the chair.

BTW, you may want to subscribe to opsec so that your replies
don't bounce: "echo subscribe opsec | mail majordomo@ops.ietf.org"

--George