Re: comments

 "gmj" == George M Jones <gmjones@mitre.org> writes:

gmj> So this is back to the knobs and settings question.   First, we want the
gmj> knobs to be there to enable secure configuration.    Second, we want
gmj> secure default configuraitons.

gmj> Passwords are clearly knobs.   The question is, how reasonable is it
gmj> to set them with secure defaults (e.g. random, per-unit passwords
gmj> maybe printed on the case, stored in the PROM, etc.) ?

Take a tip from the hackers.

Most rootkits that use passwords don't come with passwords.  One is
required, and no default is supplied, not even a suggestion.

Make it a defaultless, required configuration option.  They may choose
poorly, but they'll all choose poorly and differently.

ericb