Re: Scope, Profiles

I'm cogitating on this and Neal's later comments.

ericb@digitaljunkyard.net wrote:

Well, things that I want for my powerstrips apply to anything with an
IP.  So it's not really profiles, but more "if you supply this
capability (IP stack, MPLS, etc), you must implement these features."

So you're basicly suggesting:

  If you implement IP, then

     1. RFC conformance
     2. Ablitity to list all listening services
     3. Ability to disable all listening servies

 If you implement filtering, then

     1. Ability to filter on IPs, protocols, ports
     2. Ability to log filter hits...

So at the front, there are some capability => feature mappings, then
as you dig deeper you get to stuff like "if you use the device this
way, you should configure it this way".

When you say "configure" do you mean things like "turn of directed broadcasts"
or "include this group of capabilities" ? I can see groupings like

Edge Device
1. Filtering of traffic trough the device
2. Filtering of traffic to the device
3. Support rate-limiting

Core Device
1. Filtering of traffic to the device

But supporting rate limiting (capability) is different than requiring rate limiting to
be used (configured/configured a certian way).

---George