RE: More Comments/suggestions on draft

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Smith, Donald wrote:

>  @@ will deliminate my comments;-)

Nothing that is directly connected.  Forwarding would still reach.

But that's specific.  Neal's question still needs a good answer.

Given the general motivation for these requirements (if it's
listening, we want to know, and want to able to turn it off),
the fact that namp supports protocol scanning (see
http://lists.insecure.org/nmap-hackers/2000/Apr-Jun/0119.html
+ nmap docs), and Don's referene, I'm leaning towards including
protocols in the requirement.  Thoughts ?  Yea? Nay ?

> > 2.11.13	  The justification for this requirement reads very
> > 	  oddly to me.
>
> The justification is performance (as I think you're saying below).
> Lookups take time, bandwith, processor.  If the attacker is flooding
> you (maybe with randomized source addresses), he can force you to
> spend lots of cycles/time.    Lookups by default should be turned off.
> There may (should ?) be an option to turn them on.
>

> @@ NSlookups also can give away the fact that your logging.

Or at least the fact that you're doing a lookup, which may imply
logging....but good point.   Any time an attacker can get you
to send packets, they can learn something.

I'll add a note to the justification.

> @@ if the remote scanner/hacker has control of the dns server for the
> @@ ip address they are scanning from.

Then they could lie in the reply.

> So maybe a nslookup from the LOG
> server
> @@ would be better then an nslookup from the network element?

Choices.  Knobs.  The ability to decide.  That's what we're asking for.