Re: Ability to withstand well known attacks

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, George Jones wrote:
> > OPSEC BOF - Operation Security Requirements for
> > IP Network Elements Session
> > 17 July 2003, IETF #57, Vienna
> > BS: (Bill Somerfeld, Sun) Vendors will have trouble
> >     with 2.3.8.  No vendor could comply with
> >     2.3.8, it is too hard as written.  GJ: admits that
> >     2.3.8 needs work.  BS: it is also a moving target!
> OK, this makes two vendors who strenuously objected to this
> requirement.   I'd like feedback/discssion/suggested wording.

Devices should at the very least survive "obvious" attacks like SYN
floods. Management ports should not become unusable simply because the
device was flooded with bogus SYNs. (In this case syncookies would be a
requirement)

I cant begin to count the endless list of vendors who cant even meet that
simple requirement.

-Dan
--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]