RE: ACLs

> However, where should we draw the boundary?  IMHO, 100 is far too low
> for practical purposes, but why 500, 1000?

To murky the waters further, there MAY be different costs depending on the
filter criterion -- eg., L3 criteria may be less expensive than L4 or L7
criteria.

Also, the delay on an OC48 is going to be rather different than that for a
DS-1, and that makes absolute numbers not very meaningful in the general
case. Two possible ways to deal with this would be a) state percentage gains
in delay over the no-ACL case; or b) use absolute numbers but state the
known threshold delay will degrade a given application's performance.

Caution: From a box-measurement perspective, (b) is a rathole.

dn