RE: More BCP: revenge of RS232 and CLIs

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Owen DeLong wrote:
> That all looks pretty good to me.  I would add one thing, however, and that is a
> recommendation (not requirement) for the console to have some form of fall-back
> authentication that does not require functioning IP or depend on external servers.
> something like this:
>
> n.n.n Non-IP Console Supports Independent Authentication
>
>    Requirement: The Non-IP console interface SHOULD support an authentication

I'd say s/SHOULD/MUST/ otherwise you get into chicken-egg scenarios.

Imagine how ridiculous it would be to try to configure IP on a cisco
router, but not being able to get into the serial console because it
required IP to be working before you could configure IP.

-Dan
--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]