Re: Definitions of "Console" and "CLI" expanded

Owen DeLong <owen@delong.com> writes:
> While it is true that builtin RS-232 on laptops is becoming rare, this isn't
> a good reason to eliminate the RS-232 requirement on equipment vendors.  The
> reality is that I am willing to accept this on laptops because it is easy
> to find USB<-->Serial adapters that are well supported under all common
> laptop operating systems.  On the other hand, it's not so common to find
> ways to support devices that have USB consoles with such vast compatibility.

I don't understand. There is no obvious reason why having a physical
conversion device makes any difference. The console on the device can
just speak the USB serial target protocol and all will look
indistinguishable to the operating system.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com