Re: Definitions of "Console" and "CLI" expanded

If you can convince me that all the device manufacturers will get this right
such that all common operating systems will see this as a serial device
(this isn't true for any ONE of the adapters currently available), then
you are right.  However, in my experience, the adapter that looks like
a serial port to one operating system doesn't necessarily even work with
another.  While I have yet to see one which is universally interoperable,
I also have yet to see an OS running on a USB-Only computer that doesn't
work with at least one type of adapter.

Further, if I do choose to use a terminal server to control several devices,
I don't know of anyone making USB terminal servers.

The bottom line is RS-232 is simple.  No protocol required.  No dependency
on a protocol stack in the box, etc.  For this particular purpose, in my
opinion, the fewer dependencies, the better.  USB introduces a significant
number of dependencies.  I don't mind dependencies on the operators laptop,
because, the operator will usually make sure things work on his laptop on
a regular basis.  Building dependencies on the other side is an unnecessary
complication.

Owen