RE: Subtypes

I don't disagree with you at all John.

But lets not get tangled up on philosophical points and political points.

Subtypes are not that bad....they don't really break anything, they do
create work if an intermediary had to add value by looking at some of the
subtypes.  And given that there are subtypes both in VSAs and lets see
parsing username to extract subtypes (ummmm data).  The code exists in
probably every RADIUS server made today to do this.  So its not a big
change.

Look at the Sterman draft.  Do you really think that an intermediary would
want to parse the guts of that attribute.

Look at PWLAN stuff.  And Prepaid.

My point is this, if there is a good argument to be made for a subtype not
to be a subtype then make it.

But banning them outright hmmmm that sounds .....

And exactly as you said, solid standards could mean having subtypes.