RE: QoS attributes

Hi,

I think at least some people are intending to use the bandwidth
RADIUS attributes for configuring some sort of "bandwidth
limiting" mechanism in a WLAN access point. This is very different
from QoS signalling for, e.g., reserving bandwidth along the route
to some destination.

I agree with John in that using AAA protocols for QoS signalling
is not a good idea; however, using them to provide parameters
for some "bandwidth limiting" mechanism seems very appropriate.

Diameter even provides an AVP data format (QoSFilterRule) for
exactly this purpose. It seems that this AVP data format is
not yet used by any AVP type, though. It is quite complex, so
perhaps something like a simple "maximum uplink/downlink bandwidth"
attribute would be sufficient for many purposes.

BTW, it seems the actual text describing the "dscp" and "metering"
options is missing from RFC 3588. The latest draft that still
explains their parameters seems to be -09, available from:
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-09.txt

Best regards,
Pasi