Re: Subtypes (again) and other ideas

Avi Lior wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Nakhjiri Madjid-MNAKHJI1 [mailto:Madjid.Nakhjiri@motorola.com] Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 3:32 PM
To: 'Avi Lior'; 'Victor Gamov'; radiusext@ops.ietf.org
Subject: RE: Subtypes (again) and other ideas

Hi Avi,

I am not sure, if I understand the problem you are raising below. Are you saying that a sub attribute out of for instance WLAN attribute (which is treated as a vendor specific) needs security, then that piece of data cannot be a subattribute anymore? If true, although I agree that is a problem, but isn't that already a problem for vendor specific attributes?

It is.

Hi gentlemen!

I'm really sorry, that I was absent for a long time

The suggested idea seems to be the best way to handle all the new applications that are popping up with the limited attribute space. Furthermore, this approach won't tie the hand of application designers to have to map all their data into existing attributes.

But don't forget my other reason. Not using application space allows us to reuse attributes.

I think that there is a better approach to handling the limited attribute
space for RADIUS. I already posted an internet draft for that. See
ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/internet-drafts/draft-lior-radius-attribut
e-type-extension-00.txt

I red this pecifications and now I have new ideas about our problem.

1. I think that we need to use VSA with Vendor-Id=0 (standard RADIUS) to extend standard RADIUS attributes space. It's very possible that current attribute space will be exceed in future.

2. New attribute type from still unassigned attribute space with following format to extend Service-specific attributes:

 0                   1                   2                   3
|0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1|
+---------------+---------------+-------------------------------+
|   Type (241)  |    Length     |        Service-Type           |
+---------------+---------------+-------------------------------+
|    Service-Type (cont)        |  String...
+---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+

Type 241 for Service-Specific

Length >= 7

Service-Type = value of Service-Type attribute.
(We need to propose new Service-Type values for different services (Wi-Fi, LAN, PPPoE etc))

String may be in following format:

+---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+
|          Extended-Type        |       ID      |Extended-Length|
|   Extended-Value...

Extended-Type -- type of service-specific attribute

ID -- random value from 0 to 255 to identify different service-specific attributes with equal Extended-Type in one packet

Extended-Length >= 5

Extended-Value -- Service-Type and Extended-Type specific value

Attributes with equal Service-Type, Extended-Type and ID MUST be concatenated. This allows Extended-Value longer than 245 bytes

3. When different applications need to share some attribute we can add it in RADIUS VSA (with Vendor-ID 0) attribute space after some discussions. So item 1 is very useful for this.