Re: AAAEXT charter, Take 1

Bernard wrote:

Should we rename the potential WG and re-orient towards handling both
RADIUS and Diameter in a single WG?

Note that I'm not sure how much "re-orient" we need. What I suggested did not really change the list of work items. I basically just requested the fact of common impact be recognized, in terms of components that are not specific to RADIUS as well as translation requirements. The common portion is IMHO large enough to warrant a change in the name as well.

It may be fair to ask whether, as a part of this re-orient",
the group should start doing possibly OTHER extensions
than those currently listed. It didn't mean to imply
this. I think the current charter is reasonable and
it isn't easy to increase the number of work items a
lot, whether or not my suggestion is adopted.

So, work beyond the currently discussed items probably
has to go to another place (such as the application WG)
in any case, or wait until most of RADEXT/AAAEXT items
have been completed.

Personally, I'd like to keep the work separate.  There is certainly good
reason for the work on DIAMETER and RADIUS futures to coordinate with each
other, but I think the actual WGs should be separate.

One good reason is to avoid endless battles over whether a certain extension
should be in D, R or both.  Let each group work out the best path, that is
consistent with overall IETF/IESG direction.

I believe the charter is pretty clear already about which extensions are to be done, and on which protocol. I think that's good. Is there a specific extension that you worry about?

However, I think it would be very unfortunate if we
started divergent standardization for, say, RADIUS NAIs
and Diameter NAIs, or created a WLAN attribute set for
RADIUS that couldn't be converted to Diameter using NASREQ,
or if the WLAN attributes for Diameter and RADIUS contained
different information.

--Jari