Re: Comment on Capabilities Exchange

Hi Avi,

Sub-capabilities are important. These are used in 3GPP2 for instance.

Ok, this looks like an important requirement. Can you send the list of capabilities and sub-capabilities in 3GPP2?

So the intention was to allow the base RADIUS -- which is driven by
Dictionaries and policy files to treat this as an integer and only check the
12-it indicator. The sub-capability would be used by the actual
applications.

So, the dictionaries and policy files will look at the highest 12 bits? Will they generally be able to do this? Hmm... I guess so if they have gt/lt operators, since these are the highest bits.

If we loose sub-capabilities then we may have an explosion of capabilities.
I think this is a reasonable tradeoff.

I see that Dave asked about the explosion. Perhaps we could come up with the expected table of capabilities and sub-capabilities, so we could see what the actual situation will be.

So, in the IETF space we would have at least the following
optional capabilities:

- RFC 2866 (accounting)
- RFC 2548 (ms vsas)
- RFC 2867 (tunnel acct)
- RFC 2868 (tunnel attrs)
- RFC 2869 (radius extensions except for EAP)
- RFC 2869 (eap, version 1)
- RFC 3579 (eap, version 2)
- RFC 3162 (ipv6)
- RFC 3576 (dyn)
- RFC 3580 (1x)
- NASREQ translation

Presumably some of these, such as RFC 2869 extensions
might break down to smaller parts, like ARAP &
accounting extensions. Then add 5-10 pieces from
the results of the RADEXT WG. This comes down to 20-30
capabilities.

It isn't clear to me if all of the capabilities will
be useful. Signaling support for some of them might
not be necessary. I can't think of a specific example
right now, however.

What about capabilities outside the IETF?

Can you say something about the subcapabilities?
Example of use etc?

--Jari