Re: Rationalizing the RADIUS data model

Nelson, David wrote:

I'm really opposed to "string" and "sub-string" based protocols.  RADIUS
and Diameter are AVP based protocols, and I think it would be a major
mistake to deviate from this design paradigm.  If sufficiently well
described, string based protocols can be made interoperable, but it's
generally much easier to achieve interoperability with AVP based
protocols.

I think I generally agree that AVP is a better approach. At the time that I wrote my e-mail that you responded to, I was still thinking of how to make everything fit within the same model. It now appears that choosing a new attribute number may make this unnecessary.

I would support adopting the "universal" data model for all attributes,
including VSAs. However, I suspect that the implementers who have
enjoyed the vast freedom of "artistic expression" under the current VSA
rules (basically none) would object. It would likely make some existing
VSAa non-compliant.

I think we can avoid that, by picking a new attribute number. But we already discussed that in other e-mails.

--Jari