RE: Object identifier and type spaces in a rationalized RADIUS data model

Jari Arkko writes...

> That was one of my open issues. I think the alternatives are:
>
>    1. Limit the attributes to 255 bytes in RADIUS. (Did the
>       charter say something about this limitation?) This
>       is the simplest approach and my current preference.

The charter used to explicitly prohibit extended-length attributes in an
earlier version.  Implementations might rely on the assumption that the
attribute length is no greater than 255 (e.g. copy buffer size) *before*
they get around to parsing the type code.  For that reason, I think it
would be difficult to extend the attribute length and ensure that we
don't break existing implementations.

> As we think about this issue, we should remember that
> RADIUS runs over UDP, and to avoid too many problems
> with fragmentation one shouldn't put too many >255
> byte attributes to the messages in the first place --
> so there are some underlying limitations and relaxing
> the attribute length limit may not help that much.

Right.

-- Dave