Re: Object identifier and type spaces in a rationalized RADIUS data model

Jari Arkko wrote:
Nelson, David wrote:

Bernard Aboba writes...

It *might* even obsolete the need for new RADIUS work in some areas --
some existing Diameter applications might be reusable.  That
is a huge win if it is possible.

This *is* an attractive concept. I'm vaguely concerned, however, that we not take this to the next step and attempt to retrofit RADIUS with some|many|all of the features of Diameter. That used to be an explicit prohibition in an earlier charter draft. I think that we need to focus on the unified data model issue and the Diameter compatibility issue, without falling into the trap of creating a RADIUS-Plus protocol.

Agreed. Yes, that danger has occurred to me as well.
One way to proceed is to think very hard about the
_scope_ of any extension we make but still ensure
that whatever we do tries to unify rather than fragment
the current data models. For instance, in a fear
of retrofit and complexity, we might adopt the same identifier
space and some new data types, but not take on all
data types from Diameter and not extend the attribute
length. We just need to be careful that while doing
so, we don't turn "scoping" into "do things differently".

A follow up that I forgot to mention: obviously, the primary driver for something like this would come from a longer-term desire to improve and unify the data models in VSA, SDO, and IETF space. Current drafts on the IETF stds table do not cause us to run out of attribute or type space. So the first thing to decide is whether we want to do something about the "VSA problem", and if yes, then something like what I proposed would seem reasonable.

--Jari