RE: User Alias Identity (Was: Re: comments on draft-adrangi-radius-attributes-extension-00.tx)

> >    So, presumably the NASes were not prepared for the
> >    possibility that the User-Name attribute might change.
> >    Do they actually break, or is it just that they ignore
> >    the User-Name attribute when it comes back?
>
> It will break the billing functionality according to the information
> that we got from GSMA vendors.

Can you explain what this means?  Does the NAS crash?  Send an accounting
record with the User-Name sent in the Access-Request instead?  Do
something else?  Perhaps we should hear directly from the vendors in
question about how they handle this.

Remember that RFC 2865 enables inclusion of the User-Name attribute in an
Access-Accept, so that compliant RADIUS client implementations need to be
able to deal with this:

   Request   Accept   Reject   Challenge   #    Attribute
   0-1       0-1      0        0            1   User-Name

> It applies to all scenarios where user's real or billable identity is
> not revealed to the NAS by the user.

RFC 3579 contains the same entry as RFC 2865 with respect to User-Name:

Request  Accept  Reject  Challenge   #    Attribute
0-1      0-1     0       0            1   User-Name

> RFC3579 does not mandate supporting user-name(1) rewrite so in my mind
> it won't make it uncompliant. No?

Here is what RFC 3579 says:

"In order to permit forwarding of the Access-Reply by EAP-unaware proxies,
if a User-Name attribute was included in an Access-Request, the RADIUS
server MUST include the User-Name attribute in subsequent Access-Accept
packets. Without the User-Name attribute, accounting and billing becomes
difficult to manage.  The User-Name attribute within the Access-Accept packet
need not be the same as the User-Name attribute in the Access-Request."

So in effect, handling of a User-Name attribute within an Access-Accept is
mandatory.  RFC 3579 also warns RADIUS client implementations not to
assume that the User-Name attribute will not necessarily be the same in a
response as in a request.

So I'd say that a RADIUS client needs to support User-Name in an
Access-Accept and also needs to be prepared for user-name rewrite.

> The difference in the amount of code changes required by these two
> methods is not the core issue.  The main goal is to provide a solution
> that can be deployment without any changes to NAS, and without
> disturbing the current use of User-Name(1) -- i.e., GSMA
> vendors/operators don't want to overload the use of UserName(1) or
> create conflicts/incompatibilities.

This seems like one of several areas in which there are interoperability
issues with current RADIUS implementations.  Where there are
interoperability problems, it is typically required for *some*
implementation to change.  The purpose of the "RADIUS Implementation
Errors and Fixes" document is to document these problems and propose
solutions.

> >    ensure that the above NAS-need-not-be-changed properties can
> >    be achieved if we move into this separation. That is, I'd like
> >    to understand how this works in a backwards compatible manner
> >    without requiring updates to the NASes.

I don't see how this can possibly be implemented without changing NASes.
Since this is an interoperability issue, the problem isn't "does someone
have to change" -- but rather "what  should change" and "how".