AW: Comments to draft-sterman-aaa-sip-03 and draft-ietf-aaa-sip-a pp-03

Miguel,

> 1) Abstract: The abstract looks more like an introduction to me,
> providing a motivation for this work. I think the abstract should just
> indicate what this document provides, rather than a historical
> description of the capabilities of RADIUS, SIP and HTTP. I would suggest
> a text around this lines:
>
> "This document specifies an extension to RADIUS that allows a RADIUS
> client in a SIP/HTTP server, upon reception of a SIP/HTTP request,
> retrieve and compute Digest authentication information from a RADIUS
> server. Additionally, a scenario describing  the authentication of a
> user emiting a SIP/HTTP request is provided."
Thank you for this proposal.

> 3) draft-sterman defines a Digest-Body attribute. But actually, the
> attribute will not contain a body, but the hash of a body. I would
> suggest to rename this attribute to Digest-Entity-Body-Hash. It happens
> that this is the name of the same AVP in Diamter SIP app.
Digest-Body-Digest looked a bit strange to me and Digest-Entity-Body-Hash
a bit long. But I've no problem changing it.

> 4) I noticed that draft-sterman does not specified a Digest-Nextnonce
> attribute, but we have a Digest-Nextnonce AVP in Diameter SIP app. It
> seems that draft-sterman reuses Digest-Nonce to transport a nextnonce.
> While the mechanism probably works, I would suggest to define a new
> Digest-Nextnonce attribute in draft-sterman, since the semantics of
> Nonce and Nextnonce are completely different, so they are sent in
> different parameters in the Digest header. Is this acceptable?
>
> 5) Similar to #4 above, I noticed that draft-sterman defines a
> Digest-Response that presumably is used to map it to both "response" and
> "rspauth" in Digest. As in #4, the semantics of both Digest parameters
> are different, so the attributes should be. In Diameter SIP app. we
> define Digest-Response and Digest-Response-Auth AVPs. I would suggest
> that draft-sterman splits Digest-Response similarly. Is this acceptable?
After converting the draft to flat attributes, I tried to save attribute
space. It is a scarce resource in RADIUS.

> 6) Question of documentation. I noticed that all the attribute
> descriptions in draft-sterman include a figure containing the position
> of Type, Length and String. I wonder if it is needed to repeat the
> figure in all the attribute descriptions or whether you can indicate in
> a general paragraph the commonality shared by all the attributes (among
> others, the structure represented in those figures).
OK.

> 7) Section 2.1 in draft-sterman. The definition of Type says:
>      Type
>           DIG-RES for Digest-Response.  Early implementations have used
>           the experimental type 206.
>
>     I would suggest to remove the last sentence. It is not relevant for
> this document the value an early implementation has used or not. What is
> important is the value assigned by IANA.
OK.

> 8) Section 2.16, Digest-Stale. I notice that draft-sterman and Diameter
> SIP app are not synchronized with the possible values of this attribute.
>
> Draft-sterman indicates that if Digest-Stale is present, its value will
> always be set to "1". This will be mapped to the stale="true" parameter
> in Digest. I understan that if Digest-Stale is not present, then the
> RADIUS client should assume that stale="false" or simple not present in
> Digest
> [..]
> My proposal is that draft-sterman aligns with Diameter SIP app and the
> value of the Digest-Stale AVP includes a quoted string that is straight
> forward mapped to the stale parameter in Digest. Is this acceptable?
Yes.

> In general, I found that this section 4 has to be rewritten once we
> agree on the proposals in this e-mail. It would become easier to map
> both documents now.
There will be some more changes as I will use Access-Challenge in the next
version of the draft.

> 11) Section 5:
>
> I would expect that this section starts with the following sentence:
>
> "This document serves as IANA registration request for ..."
>
> Particularly, I would remove the dependency on becoming a working group
> (item) or IESG document.
OK.

> 12) Examples in Section 7:
>
> This one was a shock to me. It violates all the rules of writing RFCs.
> For instance, it does not use the IP address space suggested for
> examples, it does not use the example.com domain name.
>
> The SIP examples luck a few mandatory headers (e.g., Max-Forwards),
> contains the name of commertial products, contains undocumented
> extensions to SDP, misses recommendations of populating several SIP
> headers and SDP lines...
>
> If you want to continue in this path, I may suggest that an expert
> reviewer assigned by the transport AD should inspect this examples.
>
> I have a better suggestion: at the end of the day, this draft is about
> Digest and RADIUS. So why don't you focus on Digest and RADIUS in the
> examples? create some sort of abstract SIP/HTTP request, and just write
> down the Digest headers, but not the whole SIP message.
To be honest, I took the examples without much review from the -00 version
which was based on RfC 2543.

Thank you for this detailed review,

Wolfgang

--