RE: Issue with SIP - Need for Message-Authenticator

If you're referring to the recent collisions found in MD5 and SHA-0,
here are a few points:

- Many believe that it's just a matter of time before a collision is
found in SHA-1.
- nothing indicates that the collisions affect HMAC-MD5.
- The more important (weakest link) in Radius is actually the response
authenticator which uses plain MD5.  If the method used in finding the
collision (diff analysis) can somehow speed up the cracking of the
RADIUS shared secret, it doesn't make any difference how the message
authenticator is arrived at.
- On the other hand, if someone has figured out how to crack this, it's
unlikely that the attack will be released to the public anytime soon due
to disclosure requirements :).

Any of these hashes coupled with a static shared key is an accident
waiting to happen.  The real fix IMO would be to derive encryption and
authentication keys through  assymetric encryption (use IKE/IPSEC, TLS,
...).  There's no point in patching it with HMAC-SHA1, might as well
leave it as is for compatibility.  The gain is minimal.

Regards,

--
Randy