From: Avi Lior [mailto:avi@bridgewatersystems.com]
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 1:43 PM
To: Nakhjiri Madjid-MNAKHJI1; Avi Lior; 'Nelson, David'; radiusext@ops.ietf.org
Subject: RE: Scope of applicability for CUI

Hi Madjid,

Absolutely not. CUI and EAP usage should not be entertwined. EAP works fine
without CUI and CUI works fine with out EAP.

CUI allows mediating networks and visited networks to implement certain
business logic. For example:

As a driving usecase for this work we noted that when certain EAP methods
are used the identity of the user is hidden and mediating networks have no
way to associate an Authentication\Authorization and or Accounting events to
a specific user or chargeable entity.  CUI provides a mechanims whereby the
home network can provide a handle to the chargeable entity (without
revealing the true identity), to the roaming partners and or mediating
networks.

This does not mean that it is required when EAP is used.  Nor does it mean
that it can't be used in cases where EAP is not used.

It simply means that it is available to be used when it is required by
roaming partners - for whatever reason.