RE: Scope of applicability for CUI

Jari, David, et al

To your last part....
> Is this
> the reason why we have non-opaque values in the document
> too? Or is there some other reason, such as tracing/
> legal interception/logging need to see actual user identities?

As I recall, the non-opaque values came about from GSMA and also to align
this attribute with Diameter CC.

Opaque CUI was solving the original problem just fine.

I think the other values were added in cases where user privacy was not
required and EAP was used. So let me give an example.

In WiFi EAP is very important to use EAP because the security issues over
the air. But in the AAA infrastructure it may not be that important because
AAA infrastructure typically runs over a secure network.  So you could use a
CUI that reveals the identity of the user (IMSI etc) in the AAA
infrastructure.  Now you can actaully use a more "concrete" identity for the
user.

Also note another "feature" is that even when using the SIP URI forms and
the NAI form you may still hide the true identity of the user.  That is the
NAI form could be 12345@west.example.com revealing the realm of the user
(west coast of example.com organization) but hiding the identity of the
user.

I belive in the latest version we give examples of these.

Regarding legal interception:

Yes they may want certain CUI forms but Opaque may also sufficie.  For
example, with Opaque values they may insist that the issuer of the opaque
CUI not reuse any of the values for six months. That is, they may issue a
new opaque value for the a identity every month. But will freeze the value
for 6 months.

Then the law enforcement agency (LEA) can then issue a court order and
require that the issuer of the opaque value resolve it back to the user
identity.

Avi