Re: Scope of applicability for CUI

Hi Avi,

Continuing the requirements discussion still for one
part:

Regarding legal interception:

Yes they may want certain CUI forms but Opaque may also sufficie.  For
example, with Opaque values they may insist that the issuer of the opaque
CUI not reuse any of the values for six months. That is, they may issue a
new opaque value for the a identity every month. But will freeze the value
for 6 months.

Then the law enforcement agency (LEA) can then issue a court order and
require that the issuer of the opaque value resolve it back to the user
identity.

If legal interception is a requirement, I'm not sure the above is sufficient. There are multiple organizations and countries involved. If I am visiting in country X and they want to intercept all my usage in that country, it does not help if CUI indicates "1245@anisp.countryY" -- particularly if X and Y don't want to reveal to each other who they are tracking. From the point of view of the access network and country X, its much easier to just require cleartext CUIs...

(I'm just guessing that this might be one of the reasons
why people want to have non-opaque CUIs. It would be good
if someone could confirm this.)

--Jari