RE: New Technical Issues RE: WG last call in progress on VLAN/Priority Draft

Glen Zorn writes...

> That they are not is patently false.

Too many layers of negation for me to parse this, but I suspect it
doesn't matter.

> > (1) Its an integer.
>
> Impossible.

OK.  Your point is taken.  It's a computer representation of an integer
in 32 bits.

> > (2) The range is defined as 0 .. 2**32-1.
>
> But that's not what it _says_; what it _says_ is "32 bit unsigned
value".

Is that not what it means?  I had always thought so.

> Now, everybody who has never written a C program that treated an
> unsigned long as a string of bits (rather than a whole number) raise
> their hands ...

I'm sure that there are lots of such programs, as C has no strong data
typing.  The substance of this discussion, I think, is whether or not
the RADIUS protocol should have meaningful model, and meaningful data
types, not whether or not the C programming language enforces these
properties.