RE: Thoughts on Requirements for RADIUS crypto-agility

Alan DeKok <> allegedly scribbled on Friday, February 23, 2007 2:39 AM:

>   A NIT (or question):

>> 3. Proposals MUST support replay protection. ...
>> 11. Crypto-agility solutions should not require fundamental changes
>> the RADIUS operational model, such as the introduction of new
>> commands
>> or maintenance of state on the RADIUS server.
>
>   Most methods to obtain replay protection involve maintenance of
> some kind of state on the RADIUS server.  Maybe global server state,
> or per-client state.

Either that or globally synchronized clocks; do we really want to go
there?

>   I also see reply protection as being potentially independent of
> crypto work.

Initially, I agreed with you on this, bur re-reading David's message I
wonder if the replay protection stuff just applies to the crypto
algorithm negotiation mechanism?  If not, the straw-man requirements
would appear to be self-contradictory since requirement 11 states
"Similarly, the addition of new capabilities to the RADIUS protocol is
out of scope; a proposal should focus on the crypto-agility problem and
nothing else." yet (IMHO) strong replay protection is certainly a new
capability for RADIUS & it is a crypto application, rather than an
agility thing.