RE: [eap] Ordered delivery of EAP messages

> Both EAP and RADIUS do not detect duplicates arriving out of order; they
> depend on the underlying lower layer to provide in-order delivery so as to
> enable duplicate detection.

RFC 2865 says:

      The RADIUS server can detect a duplicate request if
      it has the same client source IP address and source UDP port and
      Identifier within a short span of time.

This, to me, implies duplicate detection on the server side does not rely on
orderly delivery. Keeping the history for "a short span of time" allows
duplicate detection irrespective of the order the requests come in.

As for the responses... Assuming the RADIUS client transmitted a request
twice (first one timed out), if it receives one of the responses, would it
still accept the second (duplicate) response if it arrives as well? Wouldn't
the RADIUS client just drop the second response because there is no
outstanding request to match anymore?

Alper