RE: [eap] Ordered delivery of EAP messages

I think this is an interesting discussion on RADIUS but we seem to have
diverted from the original question posed.

RFC 3748, section 3.1 says:

[6] Ordering guarantees.  EAP does not require the Identifier to be
       monotonically increasing, and so is reliant on lower layer
       ordering guarantees for correct operation.

Lower layer transports for EAP MUST preserve ordering between a
       source and destination at a given priority level (the ordering
       guarantee provided by [IEEE-802]).

I don't think that the "MUST" above is true!

A little further down it says:

"It is RECOMMENDED that EAP only be run over lower layers that provide
ordering guarantees; "

Isn't that a requirement contradiction of the previous statement, or am
I missing something?