Re: [eap] Ordered delivery of EAP messages

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 11:40:39AM -0500, Avi Lior wrote:
> Bernard,
>
> You said:
>
> "So overall, I don't think that the majority of EAP methods deployed
> today are capable of handling arbitrary reordering."
>
> Okay, but what is the result when this occurs, would this result in an
> Unauthenticateable user to be Authenticated?
>
> If NOT, then EAP Methods do not require in order delivery by the
> underlying transport(s) to give results that are secure.
>
> In order delivery is desirable for optimal performance -- an
> Authenticateble user getting authenticated without having to retry the
> method.

Orderly delivery is required for authenticable user to be
authenticated.  Without orderly delivery, authentication for
authenticable user can fail even if (i) EAP and lower layer are doing
their jobs correctly as specified in their specifications, (ii) valid
credentials are being used and (iii) there is no attacking.  From
operational perspective, this is something that should not happen, IMO.

Yoshihiro Ohba