RE: [eap] Ordered delivery of EAP messages

Alper Yegin <mailto:alper.yegin@yegin.org> allegedly scribbled on
Thursday, March 08, 2007 1:41 PM:

> EAP gets confused if it ever receives packets out of order.

So does RADIUS, unless it takes the same steps as recommended in RFC3748
for EAP.

> Given that EAP is a lock-step protocol, any one of the three remedies
> is sufficient to ensure packets never get out of order:
>
> 1-  EAP lower layer ensures ordering
> 2a- EAP lower layer eliminates duplicates
> 2b- EAP eliminates duplicates
>
> Having more than one of the remedies is not necessary.
>
> Correct?

Yes.

> RADIUS does not talk about 1, does not properly mandate 2a.
>
> EAP mandates 2a. It talks about 2b, but falls short of using
> normative language (no MUSTs or SHOULDs).
>

> If we decide to go with 2a, we need to fix RADIUS spec. Meanwhile,
> can we assume all of the current RADIUS implementations are already
> supporting 2a, so that in the absence of 1 and 2b EAP works well?

No, not all.

> If we decide to go with 2b, we need to fix EAP spec. Meanwhile, can
> we assume all of the current EAP implementations are already
> supporting 2b, so that in the absence of 1 and 2a EAP works well?

Again, not all; however in both cases the implementations that don't can
reasonably be considered to be broken, I think.

> If we decide to go with 1, we need to fix RADIUS spec. Meanwhile, can
> we assume all of the current RADIUS implementations are already
> supporting 1, so that in the absence of 2a and 2b EAP works well?

If we go with either 1 or 2b for EAP, then it still doesn't fix the
problem because the transport under RADIUS doesn't guarantee ordered
delivery, either.