RE: Extended Filter attribute: Change summary from -01 to 02; Issues score card review

Sanchez, Mauricio (ProCurve) <mailto:mauricio.sanchez@hp.com> allegedly
scribbled on Monday, March 19, 2007 8:51 AM:

> Glen proclaimed...

Proclaimed? ;-)

Absolutely; I think that a "grouped AVP" type of thing might make that
even easier...

>>> 4. Re-did the Diameter Considerations section [5].  Now are using
>>> the same approach employed by rfc4675 (RADIUS attributes for virtual
>>> LAN and priority support).  The approach eliminates the need to
>>> re-create a diameter-specific version of nas-traffic-rule and rather
>>> relies on the general radius<->diameter interoperability mechanisms.
>>> I do have a question as to whether the diameter value type specified
>>> (OctetString) is the right one or not.  I'm no diameter value type
>>> expert, so feedback welcome.
>>
>> A far better idea would be to get rid of the OS-specific Diameter
>> stuff & define an extensible grouped AVP for filters.
>
> [MS1] Can you described the pain point(s) you're experiencing with
> Diameter's current syntax approach?  I guess I question whether
> Diameter's chosen approach is truly broken enough to merit a complete
> re-write.

Basically the same thing you mentioned above: using a string means you
have to create a new AVP every time you need to filter something else.