RE: Issue 224: RFC 3576bis and Renumbering

Title: Issue 224: RFC 3576bis and Renumbering
Hi Bernard,

This issue is raising a couple of other issues. This email addresses the following:

-Why I dont think it is a good idea to remove Framed-Ip from session idenftication.
-Need to have a method for avoiding bising 3576 when new attributes are added.
-Need to add CUI from 4372 to 3576bis as a session identifier.

First in response to Framed-IP, Framed-IPv6 etc

Framed-IP-Address and the other attributes are very valid session identifier and I dont think we should remove from them session identification.

The other attributes used for session identification are not as good.  For example, if identity hiding is used User-Name is not useable as a session identifier.

Accounting-Session ID is also poor because accounting session ids can change without reauthentication.

NAS-Port ???  I am not sure if that is used.

Also Framed-IP is used to identify an IP-Session of the a user.  A user can have several IP sessions: serveal IPv4 sessions and IPv6 sessions all associated with the same authentication.  We may want to specifically target the COA to an IP session and thus we need the IP address attributes to acheive that.

Therefore,  I think there needs to be a scheme where we can use an attribute both for session identification and also to change the value of that attribute.  I can propose two approaches:

-Where we have a session identification attribute, if we want to modify that session identification attribute then we can send two values: the first value identifies the session and the next value will change the value.

-A more explicit method is to introduce new attributes such as New-Framed-IP-Address.

The second point I want to make speaks to your statement that states that only attributes that appear in the table can appear in a COA message.  This is not good because as we see, everytime someone creates a new attribute then we would have to bis 3576 again.  Which is bad.

Perhaps we can put some text that says that future attributes may be allowed  in COA messages.  And it would be up to those specific RFCs to  spec. that their attributes can go into the COA message.

Delegated Prefix should have done that.

My final point, as you are adding Delegated Prefix to 3576.  We should also add CUI to 3576.  It can be an excellent user identification attribute especially when User-Name does not work.