RE: Issue 224: RFC 3576bis and Renumbering

First in response to Framed-IP, Framed-IPv6 etc

Framed-IP-Address and the other attributes are very valid session identifier and I dont think we should >remove from them session identification.

Are you actually using Framed-IP-Address and/or Framed-IPv6-Prefix/Framed-Interface-Id this way?

The other attributes used for session identification are not as good. For example, if identity hiding is >used User-Name is not useable as a session identifier.

Right.  There could be 10 "anonymous" users on the same NAS.

Accounting-Session ID is also poor because accounting session ids can change without >reauthentication.

Can you explain this more?

NAS-Port ???  I am not sure if that is used.

It seems harmless though, since this is not an attribute that could be changed in a CoA-Request.

Also Framed-IP is used to identify an IP-Session of the a user. A user can have several IP sessions: >serveral IPv4 sessions and IPv6 sessions all associated with the same authentication. We may want to >specifically target the COA to an IP session and thus we need the IP address attributes to achieve >that.

OK.

Therefore, I think there needs to be a scheme where we can use an attribute both for session >identification and also to change the value of that attribute. I can propose two approaches:

-Where we have a session identification attribute, if we want to modify that session identification >attribute then we can send two values: the first value identifies the session and the next value will >change the value.

-A more explicit method is to introduce new attributes such as New-Framed-IP-Address.

This seems like the kind of problem that Service-Type="Authorize-Only" is helpful in solving. Just identify the session (you can use Framed-IPv6-Prefix/Framed-Interface-Id) and then send a new Framed-IPv6-Prefix attribute in response to the Access-Request.

The second point I want to make speaks to your statement that states that only attributes that appear >in the table can appear in a COA message. This is not good because as we see, everytime someone >creates a new attribute then we would have to bis 3576 again. Which is bad.

Right.

Perhaps we can put some text that says that future attributes may be allowed in COA messages. And >it would be up to those specific RFCs to spec. that their attributes can go into the COA message.

Yes, we should say that.

Delegated Prefix should have done that.

It did, actually. The document states that it is legal for inclusion in a CoA-Request.

My final point, as you are adding Delegated Prefix to 3576. We should also add CUI to 3576. It can >be an excellent user identification attribute especially when User-Name does not work.

Thanks.  I had forgotten about that.