RE: Proxies and dead home servers

If the home server does not respond to the proxy server, then the proxy server should fail over if it has an alternative home server configured.

However, if the home server is busy, then it should send a reply rather than silently discarding incoming packets, since the latter will cause the NAS to retransmit.  Ideally RADIUS would have defined a "too busy" message that would have caused immediate failover, but [RFC2865] did not define such a message.

A NAS should not failover to another proxy unless it has evidence that they proxy itself (rather than the home server) is down.  That is, if the proxy has recently responded to any requests at all, then lack of a response to a particular request is not a reason to failover to another proxy, it is a reason to retransmit the Request.

By that logic, responding to the NAS should not be necessary;  the proxy does not implement its own retransmission logic, it mimics that of the NAS and handles failover.  This provides the NAS with an equivalent of an "end to end" connection to the home server in a transport behavior sense.  This is discussed in RFC 3539.