Re: Consideration of draft-lior-radius-attribute-type-extension-01.txt

Bernard Aboba wrote:
> Given the potential widespread impact of attribute extension, the
> RADEXT WG Chairs are requesting that the RADEXT WG and all other
> affected WGs please review the following document:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lior-radius-attribute-type-extension-01.txt

Bernard and authors,

I reviewed draft-lior-radius-attribute-type-extension-01.  This document
should become a WG document IMO.  I have three comments, though:

(1)  I was wondering why a RADIUS extended attribute needs its own
length field.

It seems that this inner length field is always 6 bytes less than the
outer length field that already exists in the enclosing attribute.  The
inner length value also cannot exceed the outer length value because (1)
implementations that do not understand the new extended attributes will
only look at the outer length field, and (2) the inner length field
contains the same number of bits as the outer length field anyway.

(2)  The 3rd requirement listed in section 2, which states that
inappropriate use of extension type codes by vendors should be
eliminated, seems to be an administrative/policy issue.  Maybe this
should be handled separately from the technical requirements -- and
maybe in a completely different document as it could/should also affect
the current extension type code space.

(3)  The Length field of a RADIUS extended attribute is specified as >=
4 according to section 4.  I would recommend to relax this to >= 3,
since the relaxation would allow for attributes without a value -- such
as indications that are communicated by only the presence of an
attribute, not a particular attribute value.

Editorial remarks:

Section 2, 5th paragraph: s/NUST/MUST/

Section 5, 3rd example:  The value of the 3rd Extended Type field should
be 27 rather than 25.

Kind regards,
- Christian