First results on Diameter vs. RadSec patent research: EP1147635

Hello all,

(sorry for cross-posting, this may also be of interest for dime)

when presenting the RadSec draft in IETF69 Chicago, I mentioned the patent
claims of Nokia concerning Diameter. As a reaction, some participants claimed
that RadSec itself implements a subset of the Diameter features and may very
well itself be subject to these patents. So I started an investigation in
this respect.

I started the research myself by grabbing a copy of patent EP1147635 by Nokia,
which is claiming to affect Diameter. My focus of the patent's examination
was whether this patent might also affect RadSec.

The content of this patent is, in short, that packets on a network get tagged
as "possible duplicate" on retransmission in order to make the endpoint aware
that the received content may be a duplicate of a previous packet. It also
provides a mechanism to correlate the multiple copies even when the packets
took different paths through the network.

Diameter does exactly that, described in section 5.5.4 "Failover and Failback
Procedures" of RFC3588: a bit in the Diameter header, the "T" bit, is set
whenever a Diameter packet needed to be retransmitted. Also, Diameter packets
carry an end-to-end identifier that makes it possible to identify duplicates.

This means that at least from my point of view, Nokia's claim concerning
Diameter is true. Every implementation of the Diameter base protocol will use
the patented technology and needs to either license it or will violate it.
(Note: I am not a lawyer. This is just my interpretation; consider my
knowledge being "Slashdot-level").
From the wording in this section 5.5.4 and the explanation of the T bit in
chapter 3, it seems that setting the T bit is mandatory on retransmissions,
so adhering to the protocol specification leaves no room for circumventing
the content of the patent (e.g., by keeping it 0 at all times).

Luckily, RadSec does not implement such a sophisticated duplicate packet
detection algorithm. So, this particular patent appears not to be of any
concern for implementors of RadSec.

I will continue investigating the bunch of other patents and patent
applications relating to Diameter as soon as I get copies of them. For
reference, here is Nokia's claim statement concerning Diameter (as submitted
to the IETF IPR tracker):

Title: Nokia's Statement About IPR Claimed in RFC 3588