[RRG] Locator/identifier separation : assumptions on locators

Dear All,

During my presentation on Saturday (
http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/~obo/pres/IRTF-Prague.pdf ), I discussed
several assumptions/objectives for the utilization of locators.

I think that it would be useful to discuss them on the mailing list in
order to reach consensus and make further progress on mechanisms based
on the loc/id separation.

Olivier

1. Locators have a fixed length

 This is mainly because locators will be placed inside fixed-length
headers. Typical locators are IPv4 and IPv6 addresses although we may
invent new locators later.

2. Locator attachment

 A new interdomain architecture should not force locators to be only
attached to a given type of equipement. The architecture should be
support the association of locators to :
 - hosts
 - routers
 - middleboxes
 - proxies
 -...

 The exact point of attachment of the locator will be an engineering
decision that depends on the environment where it is deployed. For
example a large server site or an SME may prefer host-attached locators
while a large enterprise network would use middleboxes and a university
network would prefer proxies.

3. Number of locators associated to an identifier

 The architecture should not specify the exact number of locators that
will be associated to an identifier. It should be possible to change the
number of locators associated to each identifier.

4. Dynamic assignement of locators

 We should not start by assuming that locators will be statically and
manually configured. Otherwise, we'll end up finding that changing
locators will be impossible for customers. We should assume that
locators will be assigned dynamically (by a mechanism to be defined) and
that :
- each locator will have a lifetime
- it will be possible to renew locators
- it will be possible to deprecate, temporarily or permanently, a locator