Re: [RRG] Locator/identifier separation : assumptions on locators

On 03/19/2007 06:57 AM, Olivier Bonaventure wrote:
> 1. Locators have a fixed length
>
>  This is mainly because locators will be placed inside fixed-length
> headers. Typical locators are IPv4 and IPv6 addresses although we may
> invent new locators later.

All the others look fine but this one brings up goals.  This brings up
one of the elephants not being discussed: how willing are we to
consider revolutionary ideas?  Let the endpoints have globally unique
IP "addresses" as identifiers, but there is no reason we couldn't use
variable length locators in routing (at least core routing), except
for compatibility.  Tony can tell you about championing variable
length addresses the last time around.  I don't see any gain in VLAs
at this point, but we might as well explicitly discuss the idea and
decide so.  The packet header form will follow the address form.

swb