[RRG] Re: [RAM] dns discover in map-and-encaps schemes

How do you get locators when the DNS is down?

When the DNS is down, you will still be able to use IPv4 in the
same way we use IPv4 in the Internet today. The draft doesn't
explicity say this, but the preferred access method is IPv4,
with IPv6 used only for nodes that do not have a FQDN and IPv4
addresses in the global DNS. IPvLX augments the current
architecture, it does not compromise it.

You told me why it would work. I want to know how. You didn't answer my question. So if a host sends a DNS query to the router (you have said the router is a DNS server), and the router then needs to resolve egress.example.com and can't, please tell me what happens.

You can't say just like IPv4 today because this doesn't happen in IPv4 today.

That still won't make network administrators happier.

Howso? Why should the network administrator care if the end
node is simply behaving as an ordinary DNS resolver from an
outward appearance. That the end node is behaving as a

I didn't say they cared about that. They want to manage DNS servers in what has been traditionally known as "host systems", like one running FreeBSD, Linux, or Windows Server.

two-faced DNS server on behalf of its downstream-attached
devices (and internal virtual hosts) is no business of the
network administrator's.

Right, give me a break. The network administrator manages this stuff and is responsible for making it work and keeping it working.

Dino