[RRG] BGP Graceful Restart (was Re: Geoff Huston's article ...)

For the purpose of damping BGP or reducing its churn,
another important tool that should be quite useful is the
BGP graceful restart (BGP-GR) mechanism (RFC 4724).
I was at the recent NANOG-40 where in the Peering BOF
session it was discussed that BGP restart is an available
feature generally in BGP routers but it is turned off
by default, and it appears that many smaller ISPs do not
activate it. It would be interesting to know (if there is
data available) how often BGP session restarts occur
(due to software upgrades or any other reasons).
A BGP restart at a BGP speaker causes its peer to withdraw
routes learnt from that BGP speaker (in the absence of BGP-GR).
This produces churn and can also trigger Route Flap Damping (RFD)
(two or more hops away from that BGP speaker), which adds
substantial delay to convergence or re-convergence.
These problems are avoidable by activating BGP-GR on all or most
BGP peering sessions. BGP-GR can also be an effective countermeasure
against deliberate attacks that seek to cause BGP session restarts.
Some references that discuss this topic further:
http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/drafts/800-54/Draft-SP800-54-version2-
Jun2007.pdf
(see BGP-GR overview and discussion in Section 5.1)
http://www.antd.nist.gov/~ksriram/BGP_Security_Sriram_IEEE_JSAC.pdf
(see Section V)

Sriram