Re: [RRG] BGP path hunting, MRAI timer and Path Length Damping

On Jun 22, 2007, at 6:46 AM, Noel Chiappa wrote:

rough consensus (as of Prague) was quite the contrary: convergence and
messaging _can_ be handled without architectural changes.

Was that really the conclusion, as of Prague? I thought the only thing that people agreed on was that the growth rate of the forwarding/routing tables, in the static case (i.e. pure size, ignoring dynamic issues) was *technically feasible* (which is not the same thing as 'economically feasible', n.b.).

Yes, the consensus was that the dynamics do NOT require architectural changes. This was based on the discussion during the routing area meeting.

I thought there was still significant concern about the dynamics... I mean, it is a truism that as the network gets larger, the inter-event time for topology changes goes down, and the stabilization time goes up, and the two
do have to cross somewhere...

Yes, there's "significant concern", primarily coming from the operations community. While decreasing the total data space by decreasing DFZ prefixes seems like a beneficial side effect of architectural change, it seemed sensible to also pursue some of the optimizations to the existing architecture. Since those changes would seem to have significant benefits, this seems like it was a reasonable approach.

Regards,
Tony