Re: [RRG] Geoff Huston's article on BGP stability, update statistics and damping

Noel,

If you will forgive me for hastily responding to just one observation in your response while working over the entire message, there is one thing I'd like to highlight as I found it interesting and I hope you will too.

Noel Chiappa wrote:
    > My intuition says that as the degree of interconnection in the inter-AS
    > cloud increases, then the BGP "amplification" of underlying events
    > increases

Not just degree of interconnection; as I mentioned above, as the network
grows, the average path length grows, so intuitively (and maybe I'm wrong
here, but I think this is likely) there's a slow growth in the likelihood
that any particular connectivity change will impact any given path.

This is the comment I'd like to quickly respond to

Since 1998 we have the Route-Views data, and it is possible to look at each individual route views peer as a data sequence that now spans a decade (Route-Views is truly a really valuable data resource - I'd suggest its far and above the best we have for this work! My profound thanks to the crew there for setting it upand running it!)

A set of observations across the entire route views history is graphed at http://www.potaroo.net/bgprpts/rva-index.html

Since 1998 the network was grown from 50,000 entries to 225,000 entries and advertised address space now spans 1.7 x 10**9 /32s, growing from 0.95 x 10**9 in 1998. The number of AS's in the network has grown from 3,000 to 26,000

BUT the average path length has remained pretty steady - most Route Views peers see the entire network at an average AS path length of around 3.4, and have done so since 1998.
(http://www.potaroo.net/bgprpts/bgp-average-aspath-length.png)

i.e. as the network grows it gets more interconnected, and not longer and stringer. As the network grows, the density of interconnection increases. i.e we are seeing higher inter-connectivity levels, which I would see as one of the major factors that contribute to the BGP behaviours we see today.

I'll respond in some further length later Noel to your response, but I thought you'd be interested in this particular aspect of the last 10 years of growth of the Internet - that the "shape" of the Internet's growth over the past decade is not really an expanding sphere of relatively constant internal density, but its been more like a sphere of constant diameter with increasing internal density.

cheers,

   Geoff