Re: [RRG] some musings on PI v. PA, and assumptions, requirements, and tradeoffs

On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 01:38:21PM -0400, Scott Brim wrote:
Dave, I'm missing what's new here.  Having a PI allocation means news
of available paths to you can be carried further (all over) in BGP
space without being aggregated, so people are aware of you further
away and may take different paths to reach you.  Good but costly.

	I was just trying to point out that there are folks
	(service providers of a sort) for whom the grail of
	aggregation doesn't seem like an advantage.

	Dave

This is a really important point. That is, "the sorts" are willing to pay for slots in everyone's routing table (read: it costs them nothing) because they get better convergence. Having said that, a Loc/ ID split solution provides no value in this case of multihoming.

And if their servers are stationary, there isn't a mobility case where a Loc/ID split solution would help.

Dino