Re: [RRG] December meeting: call for contributions

Hi David,
I was wondering whether there are plans to actually make a selection
out of the different proposals, or see if a design team can be formed
that will investigate a way forward that is based on several of the
proposals.
Quite honestly, I am a bit concerned that continuing work in parallel
on all the different proposals might easily create a situation where
it becomes very difficult to decide on a single solution as people
have invested already quite a bit of their time and energy on a
particular track.

My concern tends to run the other way. I think a design team would be premature. As one author, I'm not wedded to my design or to LISP, for that matter. I do think several key things are needed before we get into design committees:

   * A clear understanding of which problems each solution solves
   * Some experimentation to see how each solution behaves
   * Some analysis that looks at stress points with each mechanism
   * and a summary of all of this that compares approaches.  Robin
     Whittle made an attempt at such a thing, but it would be better
     when we have all had a bit more hands on.

Now don't get me wrong - I understand that things can work in the small and not in the large. I think that's why the scaling analysis is crucial. It needs to take into account motivations and behaviors, which are always tricky at best. For instance, what if one of these approaches actually encourages disaggregation into the existing BGP core? Could that happen?

For my part, I've set out to do a bit of the stress point analysis in the next rev of the NERD draft, but it is woefully incomplete. Also, my goal for that draft is for it to be published as an EXPERIMENTAL RFC. At such time as we actually want to standardize, then I think a design team would be appropriate. I'm just not there yet.

Regards,

Eliot