[RRG] Use class E for LISP locators?

We've had some discussions about the virtues of being able to recognize locators and identifiers regardless of their context in a LISP-like solution. With IPv6, there is more than enough address space to have separate parts of the address space set aside for locators and for identifiers. With IPv4, we don't have the luxury of abundant address space. However, a fairly large set of addresses that is currently unused and will not be usable by many end-points for some time to come is the class E address space.

Would it make sense to use those 268 million addresses as locators? Presumably, updating routers that would need to route them wouldn't be too huge an issue as the number of vendors that build these routers is limited and the routers in question are highly managed.

As this is greenfield address space, it would also be possible to consider non-provider based aggregation here, which could fit well with a proposal like CRIO.