Re: [RRG] Nimrod, NIIA, HIP... as a long term solution?

In einer eMail vom 28.09.2007 04:35:09 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt rw@firstpr.com.au:

Heiner, do you have a proposal by which Nimrod:

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1992

could be incrementally deployed, for IPv4 and IPv6?

If not, then I think that Nimrod should not be compared with LISP
etc. but should be considered as a long-term solution, to be
introduced by means as yet unknown.

Robin,
let me start with saying NO. At least all DFZ routers would have to comply with.

I do not mind that LISP is going to be developed, but it takes as well an extra load e.g. CONS.
According to my solution there wouldn't be a need for CONS. To some extent, this reminds me of MADCAP, a protocol to provide worldwide uniqueness for assigned multicast addresses. As soon as it was developed, single-source-multicast obsoleted that protocol.

Also, it may take years to get another chance for a funding application. So it fits me well that LISP work is continued meanwhile.

Yes, I am focused on a long-term solution, which wouldn't have any scalability problems at all, even if the internet were 100 000 times bigger.

I always was excited about PNNI's hierarchical network, but these days I learned that the real credits belong to Noel and his Nimrod. However it has to be turned over and put on its feet. Concrete: It takes a different understanding of what is a hierarchical node resp. hierarchical link.

By watching the RRG-discussion I also see the feud between the different concepts (between LISP and lvip as well). This is quite natural because everybody likes his own ideas best. I am convinced that at some point in time in the future you will like my concept, because it will provide you
a) an interesting protocol development which may last a few years
b) and thereafter a huge land of opportunities wrt user and TE applications for decades

Heiner