Re: [RRG] Nimrod, NIIA, HIP... as a long term solution?

Just as a data point: Some people (e.g. SMA folks at Boeing) are already deploying HIP for specific purposes, and there is at least one IETF standards track WG (P2PSIP) that considers using HIP as a component for their solution. In general, you often (but not necessarily 100% always) can deploy HIP without changing anything underneath or above; we listed some options in our IETF 62 plenary talk in 2005 [1].

Hence, HIP is no longer "long term" in that sense. It not only has been fully specified and implemented (three interoperating open source implementations), but some folks have started to deploy it.

However, HIP as-of-today is not a solution to the routing scalability problem. It is a solution (component) to those folks that need to combine security, mobility, and multi-homing. To help with the routing scalability problem, a large fraction of the community would need to adopt HIP, either directly or through some type of proxying [2]. While that may happen "naturally" (i.e. though market penetration), it is far too early to tell if such wide scale adoption of HIP will ever take place. Anyway, if if anyone is interested in going further into that direction, I guess someone should flesh out the HIP proxy scenarios briefly outlined in [2].

--Pekka Nikander

[1] Slides 14-25 of http://www.tml.tkk.fi/~pnr/presentations/IETF62- Plenary-HIP-RG-05-03-10.pdf
[2] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nikander-ram-generix-proxying-00