Re: [RRG] Nimrod, NIIA, HIP... as a long term solution?

Hi Pekka,

Thanks for your explanation and the links.  You wrote, in part:

> In general, you often (but not necessarily 100%
> always) can deploy HIP without changing anything underneath or above;

My understanding is the HIP involves 128 bit Host Identifiers, to
which sockets are bound.  From this I understand that HIP can be
installed in the operating system code of an IPv6 stack, so that
IPv6-aware applications can use it.

With respect to 99.99?% of desktop and server computers used by
ordinary folk today, I think your statement doesn't apply, since
their applications do not support IPv6.

> Hence, HIP is no longer "long term" in that sense.  It not only has been
> fully specified and implemented (three interoperating open source
> implementations), but some folks have started to deploy it.

It looks like long-term to me, since I can't imagine how most
Internet users will have all or most of their applications IPv6
compatible in the next 5 to 8 years.

  - Robin